Monday 6 June 2011

Day 5 Tights or No Tights ?

It was a much more leisurely start from Whitchurch this morning. We didn't leave until 10am. I immediately through Rob off the scent because I had decided not to buy a new rear tyre but assume I've just been really unlucky.  Rob went straight to the cycle shop where as Martin and I cycled out of Town! He caught us up eventually.
Lots of rolling Cheshire countryside ensued. There were some smashing countryside pubs and houses. We also rode past a polo field and Oulton Park motor racing circuit. Rob had put in a request to lunch at a nice country pub, Martin said fine so long as we'd reached Warrington. However we decided in the end that the first one would do. Unfortunately Rob found one right after a busy road junction with the M56 and was suprised when we didn't see him because we were fending for our lives on the roundabout.  We eventually came upon a great pub South of Warrington on the canal.
As my feet and legs were then frozen, I decided to don my tights. This single act ensured glorious sunshine for much of the afternoon and I was constantly wanting to take them off again. Unfortunately because they are 'bibbed' I'd have had to strip down into just my bibbed shorts in public and they don't deserve that. My daughter refers to these as my man-kini !
The trip through Wigan ( I always here the voice of Eddie Warring when I see that name) was memorable for nothing other than justleing for position with juggernaughts on motorway roundabouts.  One stupid juggernaught driver gave Martin and I about 2 feet of room to which Martin indicated in sign language that he should consider shaking marraccas, or at least I think that's what he was trying to say?!

Preston was instantly forgettable and I'm glad we continued North for a further 15 miles to Garstang where we're now staying in the Royal Oak Hotel.
I've had the best food of the week thus far, home cooked and even a very non-diabetic Sticky toffee pudding! Well I am packing carbs. Bloods are now off the scale. Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment