Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 4 - Wet, Wet, Wet

We all woke up this morning feeling the effects of yesterday. I knew when I tried walking to the bathroom that I was in trouble. My legs had been filled with concrete whilst I was asleep!
The Travelodge continental was a welcome change from non stop Full Englishes ,especially as it included a Muffin. Imagine that, cake for breakfast!
I'd like to forget the first session to Leominster. My 'Blue Circle' legs meant I had to stop loads of times to get my breath back, and to check my bloods (blood sugars) as I'm an insulin dependant diabetic. However I did manage to overtake a car on a fast sweeping downhill stretch.
It had been raining all morning so I was frozen when we stopped. Concrete legs stop you spinning the pedals quick enough to generate any body heat. My left arm was shaking all of its own.
I insisted on getting a coffee to warm up, much to the other two's annoyance because they wanted to get going. In the end they set off without me and said they'd meet up on the road. Unfortunately I got lost trying to get out of the town so decided it was probably best for me to go at my own, snail like, pace.
Martin had gone on ahead to Ludlow, Rob waited for me and we rode in to Ludlow together. It's a beautiful town.
The next session was probably my best of the day through the rain 17 miles up the A49 to lunch. My motivation was to imagine a hot bowl of soup and wedges of granary bread waiting for me. Sure enough I found a cafe/bakery that did just that.
Then on to Shrewsbury, another lovely old English town. Alas I had my 3rd puncture in 4 days on the way to it.
After a welcome top up of Assos, an absolute essential anti-friction cream that means I can still sit down for dinner in the evening, Rob and I eat up the 20 miles to Witchurch in good time. Martin had managed to find us some rooms in a hotel by the time we arrived, and they've let us store our bikes in the function suite.
What I must now decide is whether to search out the local cycle shop and buy a new rear 'Armidillo' tyre to reduce the annoying punctures?


1 comment:

  1. Keep it up Chris. Enjoying the restaurant and pub reviews!

    ReplyDelete