Saturday 11 June 2011

Day 10 - Into the Highlands

Hats off to our friend John and his culinary skills. Full Scottish breakfast was on offer and was enjoyed tremendously,

And so to the hills, or rather Ben as they call them round here.
We went from Auchterarder to Creif which has a 1 in 4 upwards high street and then Amulree and on to Aberfeldy. Martin had got his usual man of the mountains spurt on but today phone coverage was scant so were unable to contact him nor him us apart from phone messages that arrived long after the event
Rob & I decided we needed a coffee and found a top class establishment called the Watermill. It has a coffee shop, and fruit cake to die for.
It turned out Martin had gone on to Pitlochry whereas Rob followed my route over the hills to Glen Garry. Rob was staying close to me because he discovered that he had bent his frame yesterday in the crash and must be very weakened. I needed to be able to get help as required should the worst happen.

We then all followed the A9 to our overnight stop on Kingussie.
That sounds easy, but with a fresh Northerly wind laced with cold drizzle, it certainly wasn't. Martin reckons it was his toughest day thus far.

We went out for food to the Tipsy Laird Bar Restaurant in the town. It turned out to be the biggest mistake of my trip.  I had the Vennison medallions which smelt a bit odd when it arrived ,but not being a Vennison conosoire I got on with it and Joked to Martin on the way home that when I'm up all night its thanks to dodgy Vennison.


No comments:

Post a Comment