Sunday 24 March 2013

And so to Race...

The forecast for the Sunday of the race had been sunshine and showers but below seasonal average temperatures. Whoever signed that one off at the Met Office made a mistake of gargantuan proportions! The heavens opened as I walked past the Mad Stad, and bucket fulls continued to fall out of the sky through until about 3pm. I am amazed that my sodden clothing and keks didn't chaf one bit. I thank one of my main heroes of 2011, good old Dr Assos!  I can recommend this modern miracle of anti-friction to any would be runner with a high coefficient of friction ;0)
Anyway I had understandably entered in the slow coach 'orange' section near the back of the starting line up and took nearly 15 mins to get through the start line. Luckily running with similar paced runners really helped me not get too puffed out early on and settled down into a good rythmn only interupted by the steepest hill on the course early on. It was good to see so many charities being supported as I read everyone's backs.
The bloke that was ducking and diving in and out of the crowds with a collection bucket got my full respect. He was keeping pace with me whilst doing all that!
My first problem came at the Pepper Lane water stop where I grabbed a water pouch, put it to my lips, squeezed, and promptly choked as the jet of water hit the back of my throat. I decided that from then on all liquids would be taken at a walking pace. I walked for these, and the hills, and a bit of kiln lane near the end, but otherwise jogged most of the way.
I was very, very glad to see the 1000m sign and the countdown thereafter. I made what I considered to be a strong Sprint for the line in the Mad Stad, but on watching back on the video looks like I couldn't be arsed to increase my speed at all as I jogged over the line.
I did find myself grinning like the Cheshire Cat though.
I so wanted to have a rub down by Simone from the centre afterwards but it wasn't to be. I had sipping wet thick tights on and you can't have a massage through those. I certainly wasn't going to take them off!
I met with Ed who proudly showed me his bleeding nipples ( aaaagggghhhh) and we set of to find a shuttle bus.  Unfortunately so had half the 12,800 field and the queue seemed to weave its way into the distance so we decided to walk back in to town. Not the best decision after running over 13 miles to then start walking another 3 in the pouring, freezing rain dressed only in a piece of bako-foil like a Christmas turkey. Ho hum. I thought that would be the low light of the day but oh no. The showers at work, conveniently near the Lyndhurst rondezvous, don't work on a Sunday and chose to turn from pleasant warmth to Scottish loch cold after a mere 40 seconds. Still, the hearty stew in the pub, a few ciders, and a visit to the Retreat to watch the brilliant Hugh Turner Trio made all in the World seem right again.
My time in the end was a reasonable 2hrs 25 mins 37 arcs and far from coming last, I came in 11638th place, beating about 1200 runners.
We have raised a bit over £1,000 for the BMSTC so I'm well chuffed overall.
I wonder what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment